Day three. I’m kind of loving making all these breakfast recipes, because I get to eat them. My kids have been pretty happy about it too 😉 Todays recipe is probably the most requested birthday breakfast by my kids and Mr. Maven-Puffy oven pancakes with buttermilk syrup. Yum and yum. One of the things I love so much about these pancakes is how impressive they look right when you take them out of the oven. Wanna see? Ok, let’s get rolling.
The cast of 5 ingredients: eggs, milk, flour, sugar and butter. A match made in heaven. Just wait till you taste it.
Throw them all in a bowl and whisk them good. (This is usually how my recipe cards are worded) But really though, melt the butter in the 9×13 pan in the preheating oven first. Then, whisk all the ingredients together and add melted butter and whisk some more. Easy peasy.
Pour the batter into a 9×13 pan (with lightly greased sides) and bake at 400F for 22 minutes, or until they look like this:
Cool, right? I think they’re fun to bake and fun to eat. Oh, but it gets better…
While those yummy eggy pancakes are baking, you’re going to be making this liquid gold to top them off. Buttermilk syrup. If you haven’t had it before, you probably won’t like me very much after you try it. This will be because you won’t be able to stop
drinking eating it. I know because I’ve experienced the draw of the syrup. My friend Alisa gave me this recipe years ago and I love, love, love it.
It’s super-simple to make. You put all the ingredients in the pot and cook it over medium-high heat with continual stirring for 15 min. The syrup will become all bubbly and caramel-y looking when it’s almost done.
Serve the pancakes and syrup right away. They’re good cold actually, but they’re puffier when they’re hot out of the oven. If you want to be really naughty, serve these babies with sausages. In my opinion, puffy oven pancakes with buttermilk syrup and sausage is the perfect way to start (or end) Christmas morning.
- PUFFY OVEN PANCAKES
- 6 eggs
- 1 c flour
- 1 c milk
- ¼ c butter
- ¼ c sugar
- BUTTERMILK SYRUP
- ½ c buttermilk (or milk with 1 T lemon juice)
- ½ c butter
- ½ t baking soda
- 1 c sugar
- 1 T corn syrup
- 1 t vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly spray sides of 9x13 pan.
- Put ¼ c butter in 9x13 pan and set in oven until butter is melted.
- In medium size mixing bowl, beat flour, eggs, milk and sugar together until well mixed (there may be a few small flour lumps and this is ok. However, feel free to sift the flour first if you want)
- Pour melted butter from pan into batter and mix well. Pour back in greased pan.
- Bake 22 minutes or until all puffy.
- While pancakes are baking, put all syrup ingredients, except vanilla, in a 2 quart saucepan over med-high heat.
- Stir constantly until mixture is a caramel color and thickened and bubbly (about 10-15 min)
- Remove pan from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Serve syrup over pancakes.
- Serves 4-6 people.
Enjoy! Also, make sure you come back tomorrow for day four of my Christmas breakfast series.
(*Note: The links in this post are Amazon affiliate links, which means I get a little kickback if you buy something through that link. No cost to you, but it does help me to be able to continue creating awesome posts)