Four months ago, we left our home in the mountains and moved into our rental home. It’s an older home that needs a lot of love. This post is part of a Makeover Edition Series that I will add to often. I’m excited to share our own little “fixer upper” journey with you!
Here’s where we started:
A long, narrow, dark room that’s really difficult to arrange.
We ripped up and replaced the pet-stained (ew!), worn-out carpet, scraped the popcorn ceiling, painted the ceiling, walls, trim and fireplace. Oh, and the mantel. Isn’t paint the best? It’s such a quick, easy fix and I love it.
After a lot of furniture moving and hours of sweat and tears, (ok, there wasn’t really sweat and the tears) it’s finally….in progress! (you thought I was going to say done, didn’t you!?)
We have the furniture where I want it and it’s partially decorated.
The mantel was the first to be beautified in this room since the fireplace is the focal point. I knew I wanted to use my big mirror to anchor everything else together. I scored this mirror for $10 at a garage sale about 12 years ago. It used to have a cream colored frame, but I decided it needed to be black to “pop” against neutral walls.
The flowers and candlesticks I’ve had for a while. Everything else I’ve purchased recently.
Candlesticks & Candles: Hobby Lobby
Burlington Coat Factory
Mercury Glass Vase: Target, Hydrangeas: Hobby Lobby (these were a part a table centerpiece we used at our wedding 14 years ago!)
After the mantel was finished, I tackled the sofa table. This table has been in our family for at least 75 years, but is more like 150 years old. It’s one piece I refuse to part with, no matter what life brings! I’ve never actually used it as a soft table before. Usually, it’s the home for framed photos and stands near the entry way.
Isn’t she pretty? I’ve secretly always wanted a sofa table and I had one all the time!
Green vase & greenery: Hobby Lobby, Peony in Vase: Target, Mirrored Tray: Ross
Hobby Lobby (they have the best selection of unique frames!)
Lantern: BHG at Walmart, Bowl: my Mom! I have no idea where she got them.
I guess I should’ve dusted the lantern before I took this shot…I didn’t realize it was dusty until I opened the photo in my editor. Oops! You’ll learn pretty quickly that I’m not perfect 😉
The rest of the room still needs some fixing, but considering that we moved in almost four months ago and during that time, my Mom was here for a month, my husband was working day and night, I’m cooking about 85% from our food storage (more about this later) we had camps, conferences to attend and school started…
- Finish cleaning couches. I tossed my couch seat covers in the washing machine and air-dried them and they came out mostly like new. I’ve been struggling with them for a few years now and was afraid of ruining them. I was pleasantly surprised! Now, I need to tackle the arms and skirt with my upholstery attachment on my carpet cleaner. Wish me luck 🙂
- Recover or possibly buy new throw cushions. These ones aren’t that comfortable and I need to have turquoise, yellow and gray in the patterns. I’m thinking maybe a mixture of flowers, polka dots and/or stripes.
- Repaint the stripe on the magazine tray. Probably turquoise, ‘cause it’s my favorite.
- Hang some pictures on the wall. If you look in the photo below, theres an empty wall across from the couches on which I want to create a gallery wall. I just need to figure out the design.
Gallery wall coming soon to a wall near you…or, rather..me
5. Finally, I need to paint the window sills white and get rid of the green.
Well, there you have it. From ugly and stripped down to nothing, to pretty and getting there. I’m sure it will take a while to get everything the way I want it. I’ll post an update when I’ve made significant progress.
Any thoughts on new throw pillows? Do you have a go-to store for new cushions? If so, let me know in the comments below. I’m pretty thrifty, so I hope they have good deals 😉